Re: [pkg-GNUstep-maintainers] Re: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?

From: Eric Heintzmann
Subject: Re: [pkg-GNUstep-maintainers] Re: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:09:09 +0100

On 2004-06-14 18:15:16 +0200 Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> wrote:

"EH" == Eric Heintzmann <eric@gnustep.fr.st> writes:

    EH> In fact terminal could be used by virtual packages (For
    EH> example Terminal.app, xterm, kterm could provide terminal
    EH> virtual package) and /usr/bin/terminal could be used by debian
    EH> alternative.

Could be, but won't. There's already a virtual package to do that
('x-terminal-emulator').

Anyways, on the naming front, for Debian, let's do this:

      - GNUstep core packages (only!) are named 'gnustep-*'.
What about gnustep-examples, gnustep-icons, meta-gnustep, gnustep-antlr, gnustep-dl2, gnustep-gd ... ?
      - Application package are named 'appname.app', since that's a
        frequent term used in the *step world. (We often say
        So Debian package 'terminal' becomes 'terminal.app'.
If everybody is agree, that's okay for me.

      - Kits just keep their regular names, but with *-dev, *-dbg,
        etc. like other shared libraries.

In fact, it's not possible to apply the Debian Policy for libs on frameworks. In the past, Nicola Pero have sugested to see framework as plugins not libs. Is someone knows some Debian docs about plugins ? (But it won't solve this issue).

Eric