ProjectCenter development status and plans

From: Serg Stoyan
Subject: ProjectCenter development status and plans
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:50:04 +0300

Hi everybody!

After a long time of development, I want to announce that ProjectCenter
finally reached a pre-0.4 status. So, I've merged UNSTABLE_0_4 and HEAD
CVS branches. It means that if you execute command:

$ cvs -z3 co ProjectCenter

you've got an 0.4 branch version of ProjectCenter. Now let me clear the
situatuin with branches. There is a several branches:

HEAD (indeed, it is not a branch. It's what i've described above)
RELEASE_0_3_5 (freezed branch. Will never be updated since now)
UNSTABLE_0_4 (this is where 0.4 version was developed)

I plan to create UNSTABLE (more generic name) branch and continue a
development of ProjectCenter there. So, in future the development process
will be the following:
1. Make a release with sources in HEAD branch (now it will be 0.4)
2. Fix bugs that will be found in release and make a bugfix releases
   (0.4.1, 0.4.2 and so on)
3. At the same time, continue development in UNSTABLE branch
4. When all planned features will be implemented, merge UNSTABLE and HEAD
   branches.
5. Got to 1

So, at any moment of time we have to branches HEAD with a stables realeases
and UNSTABLE active development branch.

That's all about development process. Now ProjectCenter HEAD branch is
ready for testing. Everybody's invited to test! Some words about what's
done:

- refactoring and cleanup mosly done (it's iterative process anyway)
- some parts of interface were switched to .gorm files
- Project Inspector: completed at some degree (there is some minor things
  to do, e.g. search order in "Building Attributes" section)
- Loaded Files: completed (status icons should be added, but this is not
  so important). Look at Tools->Loaded Files menu items. Everything should
  work.
- Project Builder: stability issues fixed. Tools->Project Build menu should
  work, except errors releated items.
- Project Launcher: interface fixes.
- added subprojects support
- Preferences: cleaned up, every setting in prefernces should applied
  immidiately
- Project Window: many browser fixes
- much time was spent to fix stability problems
- something I forgot

Test it and report!

--
Serg Stoyan