Re: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:58:13 +0100

Le 12 juin 04, à 15:53, Eric Heintzmann a écrit :

                Hi everybody,

It seems that most debian users/maintainers don't like the over general names of some GNUstep apps.

(snip)

Incriminated packages are :

addresses
clipbook
terminal
imageviewer
camera
charmap
textedit
viewpdf
preferences

Eric

P.S.
To avoid misunderstanding, I want to add that nobody has asked for GNUstep apps renaming, just for GNUstep debian package renaming.

Which, imho, is a bit strange. The "binary" namespace is a scarciest resource than package name, so if the binary names are ok, it's kinda strange to want to rename packages. And of course the "binary" namespace is only polluted because debian add scripts to call GNUstep apps (while normally you'll use open or openapp).

But well, their point of view is nonetheless understandable, it's also normal that they want to reserve general names like terminal or preferences for meta-packages. And if they want to rename theses packages as backbone-preferences or backbone-terminal, I don't find it shocking, as preferences, terminal or textedit are parts of backbone.

What I find a bit curious is to want to package every gnustep apps with gnustep-* (or even stupider, gnustep-client-*) and not wanting to do that for kde, gnome, qt, gtk, fox, etc. It's not like *all* non-gnustep apps begins with a K or a G, some KDE/GNOME apps have quite general names as well. And some GNUstep apps doesn't have descriptive names, so what will you do ? Package them anyway as gnustep-appname ?

A better solution imho would be to add ".app" to GNUstep apps names rather than prefixing with gnustep- .

--
Nicolas Roard