Re: GSCUPS and GNUstep Printing

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GSCUPS and GNUstep Printing
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:28:47 -0600

On Jun 11, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Chad Hardin wrote:

Personally, I would prefer to add the objective-c wrappers I have already written and put those directly in GNUstep. Whatever is *not* transferred over would remain behind in the GSCUPS framework.

If I did this, the classes to be added to GNUstep would be:
GSCUPS.h/m
GSCUPSDestination.h/m #This is an abstraction of either one printer or a pool of printers...along with the options associated with instances of those.

[...]

Probably these should go in a separate subdirectory under Source.

As for handling both type of printing systems, how to handle that? Is the best was to simply read the users defaults and then use a different combination of NSPrinter/NSPrintInfo/NSPrintPanel. It looks like NSPrintOperation should be same either way, on UNIX at least.

Best would be to check automatically in configure if CUPS is present, and use the classes if it is. Perhaps we need an LPR class that would handle printing otherwise (or perhaps the CUPS classes could be written so they can be used with and without CUPS - I don't really know how they work).

It would be nice then if NSPrinter/etc was rewritten to use whichever class was available.