Re: GSCUPS and GNUstep Printing

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GSCUPS and GNUstep Printing
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:47:23 +0100

> So maybe this is more of an #ifdef #elif type thing....  Comments?  How
> do people feel about making CUPS the sole supported printing system on
> UNIX machines?  If people really object to that, then there could be
> three setups:  UNIX like it is now, UNIX with CUPS, and Windows.

I dont thing that using CUPS as the solue UNIX interface is necessarily
a good idea - the system should be portbale and thus need to talk
to 'lp' and 'lpr' based systems as well. On the other hand I think
it would be excellent to have CUPS as the *preferred* way to talk
to printers, for all the reasons you outline below. To be able
to just install it and have all the existsing printers come up in
the print panel, PPD's and all, would be superb.

> By writing GSCUPS I've become pretty up to speed with CUPS, so I could
> probably add CUPS support for GNUSTEP using libcups directly, no need
> for an objective-c wrapper (If that would bother you all)

This might be the simplest solution for now - including GSCUPS inside
GNUstep as it stands then gives programmers two different ways to talks
to ornters, which isnt a good thing for portability. Having CUPS invisible
under-the-bonnet but driven by the normal OpenStep printing API would be
by far the best way to go I think... especially if you think it's fairly easy
to do so.

-bat.