Re: 3 gnustep questions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: 3 gnustep questions
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:55:07 +0100

On 10 Jun 2004, at 17:46, Matthew Weinstein wrote:

I don't know the answers to the first two questions.

Fileformat. Is the NSKeyedArchiver (using xml) portable to cocoa?

The file format used by NSKeyedArchiver is portable to cocoa ... portability
was the main reason NSKeyedArchiver was implemented.

Caveat... While the file format is portable, having archives be totally portable
requires that classes encode and decode themselves in gnustep using the
same keys and values that cocoa uses ... which means that simply reverse
engineering the file format was not enough, we must also reverse engineer implementations of the encoder/decoder stuff for the classes we wish to use.
While some of this has been done, much remains.  Contributions of code
fragments to implement cocoa compatible encoding/decoding when the
coder is a keyed archiver/unarchiver are very welcome.