Re: Basic cross-platfrom program?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Basic cross-platfrom program?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:48:54 -0600

On Jun 9, 2004, at 11:24 AM, David Ayers wrote:
I notice from the GNUstep web site that GNUtep under Windows with CygWin is "unstable", and Solaris 8 isn't even mentioned. That kind of makes me believe that I should just stick with straight C, but I'd like to be told different[ly]. The Cygwin.README found there says why it's unstable under Cygwin, but it's also almost 2 years old (September 2002); have things changed since then?

IIRC, there has been quite some work since then, but I'm sure people at discuss-gnustep@ will be able to give you more concrete information.

Cygwin unstable in the sense that there are no active developers that work on Cygwin (perhaps one on MingW). It's also unstable in the sense that Windows is inherently unstable - e.g. everything works peachy for one person, but another person with a slightly different setup will try to install it and have exasperating problems and give up in frustration :-)

A number of people have said they use it and it works fine though...

I do some work on Solaris 7, which works fine. People with Solaris 8 have had troubles installing GNUstep, but I don't remember exactly what they were. Once it is installed it should work fine. But I'd like someone who has Solaris 8 to give me an report so I can update the Platform information.