Re: Debug libs

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Debug libs
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 09:18:52 +0200

Hello,

AFICT debug=yes defines DEBUG yet has no effect on NDEBUG. DEBUG is used rather sparsely in core (I think Alex M. identified only 2 or three places in -base). Most of the logging functions in -core depend on NDEBUG. So there is not really that much of a difference wrt logging capabilities between debug=yes/no.

Now before someone goes changing that, I want to point out that I think that I believe it's a good thing that debug and default (ie non-debug) libraries do not differ in code generation. We have enough trouble hunting down bugs as it is. Especially when we don't have the platform readily available and we ask users to try the debug version with gdb and the bugs would suddenly disappear.

If someone specifically wants a version w/o that debugging info, they could still request it with CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG . Well I guess NSDebug.h would need to define empty debug macros when NDEBUG isn't defined.

Looks like cleaning that up is a separate project...

But back to debug=yes/no. I think the only thing this should do, is add debug information to the executables (i.e. -g).

Cheers,
David

PS: FWIW, I still don't think that installing standard/debug/profile libs in parallel is a good idea. But *if* we do actually keep this feature then we should at least rethink whether -make should go out of it's way to link non-matching executables.