Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Michael Baehr
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:21:10 -0500

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 02:20:25 +0200, Stefan Urbanek
<stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

> On 2004-06-05 01:59:04 +0200 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:
>
> > On 2004-06-05 00:58:21 +0300 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Enrico Sersale wrote:
> >>

> <snip>
>

> > No problem Alex, I know that this is not personal attack :-)
> > Till now GWorkspace has built with a simple ./configure (to detect the
> > presence of PDFKit and of two or three other things) and a make install.
> > Now this problem has appeared because I've decided to make FSNode a
> > framework
> > instead of a library and, evidently, beeing the first time I use this
> > solution, I'm not able to link against it before installing. (It must be
> > said, anyway, that there are not too many examples to copy from...)
> > So, if you or Michael want to help me, this is certainly welcome.
> > Else, the faster solution I see, is to build FSNode as a library and to add
> > to the various makefiles of the subprojects a -I../FSNode and a
> > -L../FSNode/$(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR).
> >

> It is doable with frameworks. I am using following in AgenFarms for an
> application that uses frameworks:
>
> ADDITIONAL_GUI_LIBS +=  -lAgentFarms -lFarmingKit
>
> ADDITIONAL_INCLUDE_DIRS += -I../../Frameworks/
>
> ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS +=
> -L../../Frameworks/AgentFarms/AgentFarms.framework/Versions/Current/$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_LDIR)
> ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS +=
> -L../../Frameworks/FarmingKit/FarmingKit.framework/Versions/Current/$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_LDIR)
>
> Then in the top-level makefile you have to build frameworks before apps.
>
> Btw. when I do make distclean in gworkspace I get:
>
> rm: cannot remove
> `thumbnailer.service/Resources/ImageThumbnailer.thumb/ImageThumbnailer':
> Permission denied
> rm: cannot remove
> `thumbnailer.service/Resources/ImageThumbnailer.thumb/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist':
>  Permission denied
> ... etc ...
>
> Note that I am making it as ordinary user and installing it as root with
> intentionaly keeping root-only write permissions for /System. It seems like
> you are moving some stuff inside the source tree before installing.
>
> Stefan

I am doing precisely this with gworkspace already (my version is
current as of May 30th CVS).  However, this really shouldn't be
necessary.  Following is my PKGBUILD:

< some stuff snipped>

build() {
  export CVS_RSH="ssh"
  cd $startdir/src
  msg "Fetching sources from CVS..."
  cvs -Q -d $cvsroot co -D $pkgver $cvsmod
  cd $cvsmod
  [ -z $(echo $PATH|grep GNUstep) ] && .
/opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
  patch -p1 < $startdir/src/gworkspace-cvs.patch
  ./configure
  sed -i /ADDITIONAL_GUI_LIBS/a"ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS +=
-L${startdir}/src/${cvsmod}/FSNode/FSNode.framework/Versions/Current"
Finder/GNUmakefile
  sed -i /ADDITIONAL_GUI_LIBS/a"ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS +=
-L${startdir}/src/${cvsmod}/FSNode/FSNode.framework/Versions/Current"
Desktop/GNUmakefile
  sed -i s:'<GWorkspace/GWProtocol.h>':'"../../GWLib/GWProtocol.h"':
GWRemote/GWRemote/GWRemote.m
  make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=$startdir/pkg/$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT
install || return 1
}

If there is a simpler way to do this, please let me know.  This does
appear to work, however.

-- Michael