Re: State of gnustep under panther?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: State of gnustep under panther?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:54:36 +1000

From: Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>

It works, but you need to recompile the FSF gcc -- the gcc in panther
still has issues with the GNU runtime (Cocoa uses the NeXT Objective-C
runtime).

What issues? I use Apple compilers to build Swarm code on Panther using the GNU runtime.

I have issues with forwarding of Objective-C messages, but these are just the same with the FSF compiler. They are caused by problems with the gcc builtin functions on all RISC processors. Indeed the relevant sections of the gcc code are identical in both Apple and FSF versions. (The Apple runtime forwards properly because it uses quite different code.)

As far as I can see, the remarks in the README about memory problems only apply to Darwin/x86.

Bill Northcott