Re: why not DirectFB?

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: Re: why not DirectFB?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:30:31 -1000

I really go back on forth on the DirectFB thing. The main problem is that linux video support is in a big flux right now and I'm not sure how it will turn out.

My hope is that what ends up is something like this:

X11 stops being a gigantic device driver.

Instead, it relies on a linux kernel which has rich support for video cards, including 3D (sadly, doesn't seem likely, we'll see).

Preferably Linux would have a rich 3D device driver model and a stable OpenGL library which works on that. I could then write a "nano" window server on top of that.

I'm still gonna plug away with DirectFB, but it's lack of heavy support for ATI and nVidia, the major players, discourages me a bit. That's not their fault though.

Chad