Re: GNUstep & The Window Manager Problem

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: GNUstep & The Window Manager Problem
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:09:19 -0400

From: Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com>
To: Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>
CC: GNUstep Discussion <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:40:25 +0200

Nicolas Roard wrote:

A better solution perhaps would be to have the window manager uses the GNUstep code to decorate the window. If I remember, Yen ju started a wm using -gui ?..

Yep, it was called StepBox and it did almost work...
If you need the code let me know.

Dennis Leeuw

Frankly StepBox is not in a good shape because I failed to work out the WM protocol.
So it is a proof-of-concept that we can use -gui for drawing
and intercept NSEvent for window management.
The rest would be interpret each NSEvent and XEvent,
which require the knowledge of WM protocol.
And hackedbox is not really a good template because it doesn't work very well with GNUstep application.
WindowMaker would be a better choice (than hackedbox).

Yen-Ju