Private methods?

From: John Baxter
Subject: Private methods?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:23:30 -0500

According to http://www.gnustep.org/resources/ObjCFun.html:

"Methods that are implemented in the implementation section but are not described in the interface become, in essence, private methods that can only be used by that class and not by another class."

I can call the "private methods" from main(), I have yet to try it from a another class but see no reason as to why it would be kept private from a class but public to main(). I have also tried creating categories but that does not prevent the messages from being executed either.

Why would a language have private data members but then make all methods "setters" public?... does this not then make the data public? I am a bit confused by this.

jb