Re: Make GSObjCMethodNames() more general ?

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Make GSObjCMethodNames() more general ?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:25:18 +0200

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
Hi,

 I try to use GSObjCMethodNames() in GSObjCRuntime.h
 to get both class and instance methods.

First, the comment in the source code said it will return class methods if the message is a class.
 But after a short test, it seems not the case.
 It always return instance methods.

Hmm, I can't confirm that. My tests show that it returns class methods when given a class. Be aware that the root classes are treated special in ObjC in the sense that all instance methods are also class methods.

 Second, it always return the methods of super-class recursively.
 Is it possible or worth to make it more general,
 such as NSArray *GSObjCMethodName(id obj, BOOL recursive)
 so that user can decide whether to get methods up to super class ?

I don't think that we would want to change that function. But we have similar situation wrt GSGet(Instance/Class)Method(NotInherited) so I could imagine a GSObjCMethodNamesNotInherited(). Personally I'd prefer to add Instance/Class variants which each take a class because I'm not really thrilled about having to create an instance just to be able to query the instance method names, but I don't feel strongly about it.

What do others think?

Cheers,
David