Re: bogus retain via NSEnumerator

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: bogus retain via NSEnumerator
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:06:04 +0200

Am 23.04.2004 um 09:06 schrieb David Stes:

Autorelease is not a bug, it is a design mistake.

GNUstep actually supports garbage collection:

Am 14.05.2002 um 09:23 schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald (on GNUstep Development):

On Monday, May 13, 2002, at 07:26 PM, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

What is the status for garbage collection support in gstep-base today?

Pretty much what I wrote a couple of years ago [...] When I implemented basic GC support I got no response ... absolutely nobody actually wanted to use it at the time (and while I like the idea, I certainly don't need it myself), [...]

[...]

PS. Nicola knows much more about the make package ... but it used to work. Probably it still does, but you had to build all the libraries you were going to
use as gc libraries [...]

Perhaps this makes GNUstep more convenient for you?

Dunno why GC is used rarely. Myself, I feel uncomfortable with "automatic" collection as well, so ...

... perhaps you can show us a path to faster and more reliable coding?

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/