Re: Books probably won't come to GNUstep

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: Re: Books probably won't come to GNUstep
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:32:45 +0200

On 2004-04-13 13:08:17 +0200 Fred Kiefer <FredKiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
So the biggest still missing pieces are the NSSearchButton, is anybody working
on this? and the XML parsing. For the later another level of abstraction
will be needed to replace it with something from GNUstep.

I hear that GSXML is actually unsuitable for just about anything XML-related. What exactly is the problem with it?

Apart from this we
would either convert the NIBs to GMODEL or try to convince Gregory to speed
up the development of NIB loading, which seems not to far away.

Fantastic, at least then we wouldn't have to provide our own .gorm files.

And finally
some cleanup of the code of Books is needed.

When I suggested (kindly) that the author replace "yes" with YES, he never responded...

When I am back home, not
struggling with a frensh keyboard, I may send you my version of the code to
hand it on to that reluctant developer. Hopefully this bit of contribution
changes his attitude to GNUstep.

You might want to contact him yourself, that way he'll get a better idea that there's a community behind GNUstep and not me alone.

Most important: Doyou still regard this application important enough to
spend our time on? From what I found in the source code I was not to
impressed, but Inever saw it running.

I think it is important. I planned on doing a library management application before, since I want to keep track of my ever-expanding home library, and Books seems to be everything I need and then some. I also feel that having such a program ported to GNUstep would get some attention for the project, because Linux et al. doesn't have anything like this. I never saw it running either, but from screenshots and the comments of others it appears to be quite useful.

Christopher Culver