Re: installing GNUstep

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: installing GNUstep
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:05:21 +0200

"Ewout" <etijtgat@skynet.be> writes:

> Dear,
>
> With great interest i have reading your website and
> i saw that there is a possibility to install GNUstep under Windows, however
> can
> you explain me how.
> I don't understand the procedure.

Yes, it is possible, but it depends on what you need.
GNUstep consists of two frameworks:

base    - Generic basic classes, no GUI
gui     - The GUI classes.

On top of these frameworks there are applicattions,
but I will not talk about theem now.
Now the state GNUstep on windows is:

base    - works very well.
gui     - Needs quite some work still. (I think, but
          Fred Kiefer knows more about this.)

Now there are two possibilities, using MinGW or CYGWIN.

              MinGW                    CYGWIN

base          Windows installer        Do it yourself
                                       but works very well.

gui           ????                     in development

Now if you decide what you want and were you are stuck
we can help you.  The question as posed is to vague to
give an helpful answer.

BTW.  You really should send these questions to
discuss-gnustep@gnu.org

Wim Oudshoorn.