make_services coredumping when it runs with no defaults

From: Pablo Di Noto
Subject: make_services coredumping when it runs with no defaults
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:53:33 -0500

Hello,

I noticed that make_services segfaults and coredumps when it is run
without a defaults database. I am sourcing
/usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh from my global bashrc file.
Everything works ok with my user, but and when switch to root via

$ su -
Password:
#

a new coredump sits into root's home directory. I did

[root@aventium root]# gdb -c core.2180
GNU gdb 5.3-25mdk (Mandrake Linux)
(...GPL license...)
This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu".
Core was generated by `/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/make_services'.
#0  0x4031f883 in ?? ()
(gdb)

This is a brand new install of GNUstep (with make-base 1.9.1 and
gui-back 0.9.2) on a stock Mandrake Linux 9.2. GNUstep was compiled with

# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)

After builing a default database for user root, make_services runs ok,
no core dump.
Delete /root/GNUstep, and there they are again.

With proper guidance, I can send more juicy gdb output, if that helps!
Happy Stepping (a la Dennis) :)

///Pablo