Re: Package management

From: NeXT
Subject: Re: Package management
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:39:10 +0900

I do not think it's bad idea that we have our own packaging system. I do not like(actually hate rpm and debs and others) them because not every one uses RPM or DEB based system. Also HPUX, Solaris, AIX does not natively support them. (They have thier own packaging system, too) I do suggeust that we have our own source code based packaging system so that we can easily use them in any operating system. For binary package, yes, each distribution or UN*X's native format would be better choice, but that's distribution maintainer's job. I think.

NeXT

On 2004-03-06 06:19:10 +0900 Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> wrote:

"UK" == Uli Kusterer <witness@t-online.de> writes:

    >> Of course, if there is a solution for package management, we
    >> should reuse it.  In adition we have to move further.

    UK> <http://fink.sf.net>

So, I think it'd be a real mistake for GNUstep to try to build another
package manager. AFAIK, most GNUstep installations run on top of Linux
or free *BSD systems, which all have their own package
systems.

Layering another package manager on top of these distributions' very
mature systems would probably not help GNUstep adoption.

In addition, the GNUstep make architecture is excellent for easily
building packages from source.

That said, it may be useful to build a package-format-neutral front
end along the lines of Synaptic:

      http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/

OK, so, it's not _entirely_ package-format-neutral -- it just supports
.rpms and .debs -- but it's kinda a good start.

~ESP