Re: Ocean and the search for a Music Framework

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Ocean and the search for a Music Framework
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:44:14 +0100

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

Am Sonntag, 29.02.04 um 14:06 Uhr schrieb Dennis Leeuw:

Hi all,

As I noted before I wanted to support MusicKit as a part of Ocean.

Thanks to Jeff Teunissen I have decided to skip MusicKit due to the risk of the copyrights within MusicKit. There are too many NeXT and Apple copyrights to take the risk of inclusion.

What did Mr. Teunissen tell you?

He just warned me.

 Where here
(http://musickit.sourceforge.net/license.html) do you read something about a NeXT and Apple copyright?

Nope not an that page. But just do a grep -r NeXT * in the MusicKit sources or Apple for that matter.

I am sorry to have to report this, but as it stands now I don't think MusicKit can and ever will be an OpenSource/Free Software kit.

I think to demand that all software that should be used with GNUstep _must_ have the copyright assigned to RMS is a little over the top. BTW german law explicitly forbids the assignment of the copyright to somebody else.

Nope no need for that. But a line like:
(c) NeXT all rights reserved
Is somewhat problematic for me. I am not a lawer, I don't have the knowledge to investigate what it can mean to me now, nor in the future.
And it is in a lot of .h files... :(

If someone can garantee me that I won't get into trouble, that I can treat it as Open Source... that I might think it over. But for now there are too much things in there that I feel might me get into trouble.

Dennis Leeuw