Re: Frameworks integration

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Frameworks integration
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:58:55 +0100

On 28.02.2004, at 17:38, nicolas@roard.com wrote:
Yes... I think anyway that others projects could have the same dilemna.
It could be perhaps better to create a "gnustep kits" project, non-gnu,
hosting all the kits.

As far as I know (and I think I once asked RMS) there is no requirement that a project called GNUxxx makes copyright assignments to FSF. This is encouraged, but the only thing necessary is GPL/LGPL license (in short: it must be free software).
Someone may correct me.

It sure will be easier to host frameworks on it than
hosting them on main gnustep cvs and thus requiring for each a fsf copyright
assignment...

As long as the frameworks are self contained this should be no real issue.

But on the other side something like skyrix-xml could be just hosted in gnustep/contrib and otherwise be maintained at OGo. Just regular cross-project reuse. Or (as long as you respect copyright), you could fork skyrix-xml into gnustep-xml and we could share patches to them. Might also make sense.

yet it will provide us a single entry point for useful
frameworks. What do you think ? it sounds to me like a good compromise.
[anyway that would be additionally to the real important thing to do,
that is, display/advertise the available frameworks on the website
and provide releases...]

Sure. IMHO this is mostly a website thing. As long as the parts are free software, it should be no problem to advertise/document additional frameworks on the regular GNUstep site and provide downloads in the Contrib section. Not sure whether its really necessary to start something separate, like "GNUstep Kits".

regards,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge