Re: "Books" to be ported to GNUstep

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: "Books" to be ported to GNUstep
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:40:03 +0100

Fred Kiefer (fredkiefer@gmx.de) a écrit:
> Christopher Culver wrote:
> >On 2004-02-21 13:33:53 +0100 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >>I had a look at Books source code and all I did see was Cocoa.
> >>Although there is a lot more code, than I would like to read at the
> >>moment, I wont expect any Carbon in it. There is some CoreFoundation
> >>code, eg in the XMLReader and of course there are a lot of new classes
> >>that GNUstep is still missing. Not only from AppKit (eg
> >>NSSearchFieldCell), also Foundation classes as NSIndexedSet.
> >

> >The developer will backport Books to Jaguar. Will this lessen the number
> >of problematic classes? What will remain for GNUstep to implement?
> >

> What about porting the application to Cocoa first? :-)

True.
I think that people who want "ports" from Cocoa apps to GNUstep should write
a small documentation for cocoa developer.
They should write about what is implement into GNUstep, what free
implementation they could use instead of CoreFoundation (SKYRIX-Xml,
SKYRIX-LDAP, GS extentions ... ).

Warn about NSToolBar & NSDrawer & some "animation" method (specialy
progressBar).
that it is not the most important because GNUstep/NeXTstep guideline  is !=
Apple guidleline).

Some perl script can easily change some Apple "facilities" (tolarate
false/true) like
perl -pi -e "s/bool/BOOL/g" .....

Fabien

--