Re: File Useability question

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: File Useability question
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:34:46 +0100

Enrico Sersale wrote:
On 2004-02-21 16:37:26 +0200 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

Enrico Sersale wrote:

On 2004-02-21 12:51:22 +0200 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

Just had a little discussion with my girlfriend about the GNUstep useability. And she was wondering why there was in the GWorkspace menu an entry for File -> New File without the ability to associate this file with a certain program.

And I couldn't answer that question...

Well, because you associate it renaming it!

Yep, I do understand that... but imagine an ignorant user. It is not intuitive. He/She creates a file and has an empty file that is of no use. Wouldn't it be nice (more useful) to ask what kind of file is meant and which program the user wants it to be associated with?

I mean what is the use of an empty file?

To rename it with a .m or .h extension and add a new file to your project :) (Instead of opening your editor, create a new document and then go until the directory where you want to save it). But this is valid only for text files; GW can't create tiff, pdf, jpeg, and so on files.
For this you need an editor for the file type.
Probably, "File->New File" is a mistake; simply, it should not be there. I've added it because I work mainly with text files; for me, "File->New File" represents a usefull feature, because with a command N and a double click I get the new file opened with the nedit wrapper in the right directory.
But I've not considered the users...
I think that I'll rename it "File->New txt file" or, even better, I'll put only a key equivalent for it.

Is it possible to deduct from the services list the file types available (supported) and present the user with a dialog to choose what he/she wants to create? It could even be an extension towards something like the role issue. If there is an app that is able to edit a certain file type you can present it.

I think of something like: The user clicks File -> New File. Then a dialog pops up and asks the user which file type (from the supported file type list) and if the user has choosen a file type the the apps supporting that file type (able to edit that file type, not only show) are presented.

Don't know if that is at all possible, but it would be cool imho.

Dennis