Re: Application roles - first steps

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: Application roles - first steps
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:04:38 +0200

On 2004-02-18 22:31:09 +0200 Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

Hi,

On 2004-02-18 01:26:31 +0100 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:

On 2004-02-16 22:37:55 +0200 Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

<snip>

Do you mean to show the value for this new .plist key in the Contents and Tools inspectors?
If so, I can add this feature in 5 minutes...

I meant to add it to the viewer window (browser/icon view). Something like application filename transformation before displaying. So application name will be displayed as something like values of one of display[1-3]:

NSString *appFileName;
NSString *appRole;

appRole = [[appBundle infoDictionary] objectForKey:@"NSApplicationRole"];

display1 = appFileName;
display2 = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@ (%@)",
                        [appFileName stringByRemovingPathExtension],
                        appRole];
display3 = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@ (%@)",
                        appRole,
                        [appFileName stringByRemovingPathExtension]];

You can also add the role into inspector, if it is no problem (it should be shown there regardles of user preferences). However, the point of adding it directly to the viewer and enabling it by default was, that users can see that something like roles exists. For the time being, user defaults can be used to configure that, no need for preferences UI, if it is a problem.

Is that possible?

Yes, but I don't know if it is a good idea to show something more then the file
name in a browser column or under an icon. I think that we should always use
inspectors for these kinds of information.
So, here is my proposal:
1) actually, (on CVS), the Contents Inspector of GWorkspace has become a
separate application.
2) now I'm starting to write an other app, "FileInfo"?, that will have the role
of the other inspectors (attributes, access, etc.).
3) (the proposal). I could write a third app that shows something like the
actual Tools inspector if a file is selected, various info on a application
(also its role) if an app is selected, and a list of all the applications; this
list could show the role and sort and find by role, etc. With this solution you
have, in a single place, all you need and you can open a file with a choosen
app with a single operation.