Re: "dockable" windows

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: "dockable" windows
Date: 16 Feb 2004 22:09:08 -0700

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 18:28, Uli Kusterer wrote:
> Folks,
>
>  recently in that hullabaloo about toolbars, I mentioned the idea of
> "dockable" windows. In principle, what I meant was having different
> areas of a window that could be "torn out" and be made their own
> windows, and re-assembled to the user's liking.
>
>  Just to test whether this is possible at all, I sat down with Cocoa and
> implemented a first, crude, basic version in xCode. You can find it at
>
>    http://www.zathras.de/UKDockableWindow.zip
>
>  Basically, it is an implementation of a view class that you can drag
> onto the desktop to get a new window, and you can drag it back into a
> window to have its own window disappear.

I actually tried this out on GNUstep, and it *almost* works as is,
except for an unimplemented selector 'isHidden' (for NSView?) and
another null selector. I didn't really have a chance to go figure out
what that meant.  It's also a little slow and jumpy moving the views
around, but that's probably a GNUstep problem.

Sounds like a neat idea though.