Ann: pre-early-beta-beta of Ocean 0.1

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Ann: pre-early-beta-beta of Ocean 0.1
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:04:30 +0100

Hi all,

Let's give the orca some place to swim. Here is the very early beta, or should I say alpha of Ocean 0.1

Well let me first introduce Ocean:
Ocean will hopefully become a system that will install GNUstep binaries on an already existing system. Currently this is only possible for Intel + Linux (I hope).

One IMPORTANT NOTE: It installs GNUstep in /System (not checking anything so backup any installs you have in /System) and the gnustep-make is a manually adjusted version... so beware :)

How to proceed:
1) Install cod-0.4.0 from http://ocean.made-it.com/Tools
2) get hermit-0.1.0 from http://ocean.made-it.com/Tools
3) unpack hermit and ./hermit in the directory
4) Start the daemons by hand
5) Create a GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults per user
6) Set the backend to gnustep-backend-art
7) get ArtResources-0.1.2.tar.bz2 from http://ocean.made-it.com/Binaries/ocean-0.1
8) Install ArtResources
9) run openapp GWorkspace

Hopefully all will be fine...

If people test this could they please send me an e-mail with the following:
Distibution you tested it on (name + version number)
What additional packages you had to install (things you hadn't already installed).
If things worked :)

Thanks,

Dennis Leeuw