Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X screenshots

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X screenshots
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 03:51:29 +0100

Raffael Herzog writes:
> I agree that storing objects themselves isn't a good idea. But why does
> ProjectCenter show me any files? I'm not dealing with files, I'm dealing
> with classes and resources.
>
> ProjectCenter could provide such a "logical" view on a project - for the
> "physical" (filsesystem) view, there's still GWorkspace/FileViewer. This
> would ease development a lot, e.g. one could use Code->New Class to create
> a new class, select it, choose Code->New Method, edit the method (and its
> signature), File->Save to save that stuff which would cause both the .h
> and the .m file to be updated. VisualAge for both Smalltalk and Java
> provide such a view (actually, with those tools, there isn't a filesystem
> at all, the code is stored in an OODBMS).

That could be done, and that may be nice.

You have  to be careful though,  because the compiler has  a notion of
file (compile unit) and there are scope rules that depend on it.

You could design a rule such as one class per .[hm] couple of file and
one .[hm]  couple of file per class,  but sometimes you have  a lot of
small related  classes that  would or should  better be placed  in one
file, or on the contrary,  you may want to dispatch various categories
for the  same class over several  .m files (while keeping  a single .h
file).

So these  rules should be  user(developer) specified and it  should be
possible to override them.  You cannot just hard code them.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't