Re: GWorkspace future

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: GWorkspace future
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:31:45 +0800

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:08, Enrico Sersale wrote:
> On 2004-02-04 07:34:58 +0200 Sheldon Gill <sheldon@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:25, Enrico Sersale wrote:
> I've no intention of make it invisible. I wrote that period without
> thinking... (for Lars: ok, I'll write the list view :-) )

That's easy, then.

> > I'd suggest it's better to separate the "Desktop" from shelf/fiend/dock
> Ok. Then I'll write a protocol to be used for writing bundles that the app

We'll see the code and (hopefully) make useful comments/contributions...

> >> - fswatcher:
> >
> > This is basically fam integration. Do we need a separate daemon to wrap
> > it? Given the other Workspace notifications we're interested in I'm
> > thinking that it's best done within the "main" app, probably the one
> > responsible for the desktop itself as it'll need to receive such
> > information and add to it (icon changes, labelling, mounting/unmounting
> > and so on)
>
> Again, this feature is part of GWorkspace since years. I wrote the daemon
> (it is already on CVS), because there will be many apps intrested in these
> notifications.

I realise this. At the moment FSWatcher watchFile does it's work by polling
the whole list. There are more efficient mechanisms on some platforms.

We can add more code and features to FSWatcher to improve things, or use fam
if it's available and get features for free.

Regards,
Sheldon

(My 10 cents. My 2 cents is free...)