Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:02:11 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tregaskis, Wade wrote:

> >If Mac developers spent half as much time contributing to GNUstep as they
> >did whining about how much it sucked, it'd be a world-class product!
>
> Why bother, when you can just use Cocoa?

Because it runs on a diverse set of architectures, because it's NOT TIED
TO A MANUFACTURER, because it's a pure ObjC implementation, because
source code is available, because you can fix your own bugs if you so
please, because you can extend it as you so please, because some people
are forced to use other architectures and platforms due to decisions
outside of their control, and because lots of people like Objective-C..

See http://www.gnustep.org/information/machines_toc.html.

> Most of the GnuStep developers seem to be Linux/Windows users, who aren't
> familiar with Cocoa.  It's quite a painful transition from Cocoa to GnuStep.
> Few Mac developers are going to be interested in working on a crappier
> version of something we already have.
Well, I'm a GNUstep user, learning ObjC and I use OS X and GNUstep,
and know plenty of other devvers who do as well. I suspect you have a
warped sense of reality, in that regard. I'm just as famaliar with Cocoa
as I am with GNUstep, and I like it that way.