Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: John Stiles
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:03:12 -0800

On Feb 2, 2004, at 12:54 PM, Alex Perez wrote:

While these goals may ultimately be achieved by the GNUStep project, it seems to me that noone is really working on the Windows port right now.
This is too bad because it would make a wonderful porting base (a lot
of their code is mature).

I get real sick of people saying this. It's an open-source project! If
you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Whiners
really ought to either (A) keep their opinions to themselves, or (B)
Contribute.

Oh please. Not all of us have the time to reimplement Cocoa from scratch.

I appreciate that open source doesn't write itself, but most of us are looking for stuff like GNUstep because we DON'T want to reinvent Cocoa by hand--we want something that already works! You can't fault us for that.

I'm a GNUstep user and know there's active development on the
win32 backend. The goal is "Stability First", so I think the old "put up
or shut up" adage rings true here. If Mac developers spent half as much
time contributing to GNUstep as they did whining about how much it sucked,
it'd be a world-class product!

Mac developers have no need to contribute to GNUstep. We have a better version already.

I think most cross-platform developers, like me, would rather just re-roll their interface code as native Win32 instead of investing the time in a second-class solution that will never look as good as a true Win32-native rewrite. If a goal of GNUstep were to mimic the l-a-f of the target OS instead of looking like Xwindows or something, then I think it would have a lot more appeal to developers of production-level applications. But most of us right now just write native code for each target platform, because that's what end users prefer. If the app you're writing is very GUI-intensive, you may make an abstraction layer or mini-framework that lets you spend more time in cross-platform land, but even that tends to cause little rifts where end-users occasionally get behavior that they wouldn't normally expect from their platform of choice.