Re: Does apple-apple-apple work?

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Does apple-apple-apple work?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:05:21 +0100

Philip Mötteli wrote:

Hi Adam, David et all

[snip]

Thanks for the offer! I will try to use it for the next issue, which is probably very easy: I can actually compile GDL2 now – until the linker stage:

Making all for library libgnustep-db2control...
 Linking library libgnustep-db2control ...
/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -l-lgnustep-base
/usr/bin/libtool: file: -l-lgnustep-base is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

I think, this is just a syntax error. Somehow, the makefile has this line in a weird way, such that there's no library name given for the first "-l", is it?

Hmm, this seems to be related to:
/EOControl/GNUmakefile:
libgnustep-db2control_LIBRARIES_DEPEND_UPON = -lgnustep-base
which in the apple-apple-apple case is wrong... it should be
/EOControl/GNUmakefile:
libgnustep-db2control_LIBRARIES_DEPEND_UPON = -lgnustep-baseadd
(and potentially some -fFoundation magic... but I'm not sure.)

BTW:  Is this true?

    libgnustep-db2.so        == EOAccess
    libgnustep-db2control.so    == EOControl
    libgnustep-base.so        == Foundation + GNUstepBase-Additions

almost,
libgnustep-base == GNUstepBase (incl. Additions)
but you should have
libgnustep-baseadd == GNUstepBase-Additions
(which in turn could depend upon Foundation somehow.)

I hope I can find time to fix the GDL2 part this afernoon.

Cheers,
David