Re: ANN: Tryst 0.6.1f

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: ANN: Tryst 0.6.1f
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:57:49 +0000

On 23 Jan 2004, at 18:58, Quentin Mathé wrote:

Le 23 janv. 04, à 13:35, Fabien VALLON a écrit :

Quentin Mathé (gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr) wrote:

1 word : cool.
I'm excited to install it. I would like to see it soon included into
-base.

Could you tell me why ?

because it offers nice user oriented network support (GNUstep hasn't such thing).

It will not include because APL is incompatible with GPL anyway...

Right. I believed APSL v2 was compatible, but it was an error.
Well, then perhaps we need a SpecialKit to extend time to time GNUstep with non-GPL code. ExtensionKit would contain important non-GPL code, which is not just here with Mac OS X compatibility in mind.

GNUstep is generally LGPL, not GPL ... so licenses which are not GPL compatible may still be fine for GNUstep.

In any case, license issues may not prevent use by GNUstep ... there is the option of implementing features as bundles so that they can be loaded if the software is available, but the system does not depend upon them. The base library does this with openssl in order to provide SSL support which is (notionally) option, though in practice it is always there. The same thing could probably be done with APL ... depends on the details of the license I suppose.

I think Rendezvous support in GNUstep would be pretty cool.