Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:07:54 +0100

Am 22.01.2004 um 18:36 schrieb Travis Griggs:

So my question for you is, what do your [ObjC++] efforts mean for me as a simple application programmer?

Don't name your source files .mm, stick with .m. Some megs disk space lost, if installed.

I abhor C++ the language (some of the semantic compiler improvements such as declare variables anywhere are nice). Do I get to look forward to C++ idioms infecting the base library?

Think of ObjC++ as an compiler capable of compiling all three languages in _one_ file: ObjC, C++ and plain C. This arises surprisingly few conflicts.

The ability to mix the objective concepts of both languages is still very limited. E.g., you can't send a ObjC method to an C++ object. This won't change and will keep ObjC code clean.

ObjC++ is useful when integrating C++ libraries into ObjC code. You could do this before but you had to split the thing up into a .m and a .cpp file and glue them together with plain C.

So ... yes, I gave up on C++ eight years ago and no, I'm not frightened about this extra stuff on my platter. It's how computing works these days: hundreds of languages to choose from and some distributions tend to incorporate as many as possible of them :-}

Have fun,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/