Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:19:00 -0500

On 2004-01-13 19:37:31 -0800 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
The problem with most Mac programmers is that they don't buy into the spirit of sharing that is embodied in (L)GPL communities. Their personal unwillingness to contribute classes, for instance, makes them immediately discount anything that doesn't do exactly what they need it to.

I haven't seen this too much. But I've mostly been talking it up on Slashdot and talking to people who host their Cocoa apps on Sourceforget, so I tend to run into a more friendly audience. It acts as a sort of "natural filter" against people who are hostile to Free Software.

The only (slightly) negative experience I've had with getting people interested in porting their already existing Cocoa projects is Hydra (now known as SubEthaEdit: www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit). They were actually interested in porting but needed Rendezvous, Drawers, and AddressBook. They were unwilling to contribute because they didn't like doing low-level programming but they weren't opposed to the principle.

I've even run into it on PortabilityKit. Asses who say
"hey, who says I want to run my app on other UNIX platforms"
don't make me want to help them.

Yep, obviously they don't want any help.  Ignore them, I guess.