Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep <---> Cocoa...

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep <---> Cocoa...
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:49:22 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Nicola Pero wrote:

> > > This seems to be just the one I'm seeking for. Which file defines the
> > > macro?  Or is this
> > > one defined by each programmer?
> >
> > The problem with #ifdef GNUSTEP is that, AFAIR, it is still defined if you
> > use GNUstep-make to build under OS X.
>
> Not exactly - GNUSTEP is defined if and only if gnustep-make is compiling
> for the gnu-gnu-gnu library combo.
Okay, thanks for clearing this misconception on my part up.

> GNUSTEP is a good macro to know if you are using gnustep's frameworks or
> Apple's frameworks.
It certainly is. For everything I've ported to GNUstep, I used #ifdef
GNUSTEP for GNUstep specific stuff and ifdef MACOSX for OS X specific
stuff. This works well, since the OS X specific stuff only gets compiled
on an OS X box, and the same with the GNUstep definition.

> > That's no good. Apple's GCC always defines __APPLE__
>
> If Apple's GCC always defines __APPLE__, that is not good, because if you
> are trying to use gnustep-base on Apple instead of Apple's FoundationKit
> (a task which does present difficulties, but which has been attempted many
> times), then Apple's GCC would still define __APPLE__ even if you are
> actually using gnustep-base.
Why isnt this good? It's a great way to determine if you're on Apple
hardware.