Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep <---> C

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep <---> Cocoa...)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:19:47 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Fabien VALLON wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> >  just read that in the GNUstep/Cocoa thread and became curious: What are
> > the reasons for this dislike of NSToolbar? I'm a happy Cocoa user and
> > I'm just curious.
>
> It bloats NSWindow.

To elaborate, it does not simply add the NSToolbar class. The problem
people have with it is the way apple designed the class, not generally
with the concept of a toolbar itself. NSToolbar "has it's tentacles all
over NSWindow" to quote a certain someone... It unnecessarily "infects"
NSWindow with methods that simply don't need to be there. Many believe
NSToolbar should ahve been Just Another View.

the OpenStep specification has no provision for a toolbar, however some
applications, such as GNUMail do use "toolbars" of a sort, they are just
buttons laid out over an NSMatrix (I think).