Re: GNUstep & FOSDEM 2004

From: thisguyisi
Subject: Re: GNUstep & FOSDEM 2004
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:19:00 -0800

nicolas@roard.com wrote:
Selon Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de>:

No reason to get upset. As usual there are a lot of different oppinions
in this mailing list. And I, for example, like your idea of a shared
panel very much. I think this years GNUstep presentation should be
focused on user applications, as during the last year we made the
greates progress in this area. And OGo is surely the most wellknown
application in the bigger GNUstep environment.

I second Fred here... a joint effort between OGo and GNUstep would be a very
good thing, and we should focus more on applications this year.. (plus the
classic (?) Gorm demonstration...)

What about presentations on some of the interesting application, that
where writen/completed in the last year? Of course we should also give
short talks on Gorm and Renaissance, to catch the atention of new
GNUstep users. Or just use these, when showing how to extend the given
applications?

Who would be willing to do presentations at all? I intend to be at this
FOSDEM, but don't have anything to show, being to lazy to develop
something in the last year now shows.

I could do a small presentation of the Help system (HelpViewer, how to
create help files, etc.). I really hope to improve the help system current
state before the Fosdem, but even if I can't, a quick presentation of the
current Helpviewer method could be interesting. Or not, you decide ;-)
Anyway, gnustep's people are encouraged to do some presentations ! take
advantage of the fosdem -- the audience won't be very large (mostly gnustep
devs), but it's interesting nonetheless.

How about taking the demonstration material/demos from the upcoming show, and post them on the web as tutorials afterward, so those who can't attend FOSDEM can get a similar experience/revelation about GNUstep? Think of it as a "marketing" thing. After all, the presentations that will be made will have very practical application for any developer using GNUstep.

Best Regards,
-Lee