Re: XML idea

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:51:54 -0500

On 2004-01-07 10:27:53 -0700 Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 03:09 AM, richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk wrote:

It sounds like the PortabilityKit is an alternative to the base additions library ... if assigning copyright to the FSF is not a problem, why not just contribute to the additions?

No, it's the inverse of base-additions. It consists of things that are in Cocoa, but not in GNUstep. There could be many reasons that a class isn't in GNUstep - political, technical, people think the class is stupid, etc. The PortabilityKit would be a 'guilt-free' place that people could put Cocoa classes without fear of other people striking the idea down. Something like a proving ground.

And that's fine, I think. So long as it's included in the core download. People shouldn't have to go download this, download that, download the other thing, just to get "portable" code to work.

"Yes, of course libc supports strlen(). You just have to go download and install the libc-strlen package because some people didn't want their library polluted with a sucky function."

(Note that I'm not knocking Alex Perez here. I just hope that his work will actually be included with the core package.)