Re: Renaissance And The Web

From: Hippie Jack
Subject: Re: Renaissance And The Web
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:57:50 +0100

Op 18-dec-03 om 22:17 heeft Stefan Urbanek het volgende geschreven:

On 2003-12-18 21:50:30 +0100 fmoser@altern.org wrote:

But I assume that it will be quite a challenge to implement/represent all
GNUstep/Renaissance GUI widgets with (X)HTML and javascipt etc.
Someone already did that for the Mac OS X GUI, and the result is impressive.
The problem is I can't find it back...
Does anyone see which project I'm talking about?

My comment is not really concerning Renaissance, but the idea of using GNUstep UI through the web...

What about feeding the Renaissance/Gorm interface through the web as is with some kind of scripts/compilable objc code? On the user's side the UI will be built as it is done currently by GNUstep apps, the script should handle local events and for more stuff it will send messages to a DO server on the other side. So, instead of:
    HTTP+HTML->Web Browser
there will be:
    DO+Renaissance or DO+Gorm -> GNUstep UI Client

Btw. in the newest cocoa there is quite nice class that can be used just for that: NSNib. Just transport it through the net, connect it to some proxy/script object and you have an UI for a remote server.

Is that possible?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

The advantage of using http + html is that you can use it everywhere, even on the nasty windows box of a friend. It would also mean a lot for server-side applications to have a good gui. I actually thought about this a while ago when i was playing with svg/js. (which is fun, by the way)
Problem is, it'll be an awful lot of work..

One thing that's absolutely required is a browser that supports geturl and posturl from javascript. It works in mozilla, and also (but of course in a different way) in ie. It'll be in the new svg spec's if I'm right, so that's a good thing. svg would be much more suitable for this anyway.

alwin