Re: libjpeg/libpng-based image loading

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: libjpeg/libpng-based image loading
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:44:21 -0500

On 2003-12-13 17:12:32 -0800 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

Stefan,
If your favorite format isn't in this list, now would be a good time to
write a loader for it. :)
I started writing a loader for gifs this weekend and think i can make it working this weekend. it is based on libungif. The documentations states that libungif cannot be used to create compressed gif images (this would require using
the lzw patent), so i think we do not have any patent issues here.
The problem I see with this is that you have no control over whether or not a GIF that is on any particular website is actually compressed or not. Therefore, if I'm understanding libungif correctly, it will fail to decode any LZW-compressed GIF on any given webpage.

I think libungif will read LZW-compressed files. What it doesn't do is ENcode them with LZW. It uses some other algorithm for writing. It's based on ESRs libgif package, BTW.