Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:11:26 -0800 (PST)

> >>A lot of people I talked to miss the Windows native look and feel.
> >>Currently GNUstep draws it's own Widgets.
Yes, and that needs to change..
> >MS-Windows. If having the MS-Windows look allow us developers to have
> >more users on MS-Windows, so be it.
GNUstep developers need to set aside their *PERSONAL* preferences for a
second and realize that a cohesive toolkit environment is something that
normal Windows users expect. This is reasonable. Just because you
don't happen to like Windows's GDI toolkit doesn't mean that UI
cohesiveness should automatically be sacrificed. GNUstep will never be
more than a toy on Windows if (eventually, not necessarily immediately) it
doesn't use native or pseudo-native widgets.

> As a MS-Windows user, I would prefer a GNUstep look rather than windows
> look. If I'm stuck using Windows, I at least don't want it to look like it.
This is fine to start with, but personal preferences of GNUstep (non)developers
should
not dictate the path of the project. I think something akin to GNUstep
Enterprise for Windows could be really useful (commercially, even) to a
lot of folks...

> Hence WindowBlinds, NextSTART, and CubeDock to "NeXTify" my friggin
> Windows system.
Don't use Windows if you don't like it. Starting with Windows XP, there is
native draw-level theming within the OS. XP Also supports "native" Windows
2000-esque draw-level themes. the Windows XP GDI extensions should
probably be natively supported for basic widgets. The worst offender, by
far and as it currently stands now, are horizontal menus under Windows
2000.
 > > (Personal Opinion) Windows is _ugly_.
I'm not a huge fan either, but GTK is by far worse in my opinion.

> However, once themeing is developed, it would of course help the goal of
> being "cross-platform" by making available "Windows-looking" rather than
> "GNUstep-looking" widgets.
Any theming under Windows should be done at the XP GDI+ level, as other
efforts would just be a huge waste of time. GNUstep should first be made
usable under Windows, though, which it is currently not (at least WRT
AppKit). The rest of these points are moot until this is completed.

> That said, the look should be user-configurable, so they _could_  be
> "GNUstep-looking" if the user preferred.
I personally look forward to having GNUstep apps be portable to Windows,
but regular folks will never use them unless they look remotely as they
should on that platform. The GNUstep community is small. The subsection of
GNUstep users who use Windows and would want to use GNUstep apps under
windows is even smaller. Keep that in mind.

Alex Perez
The Misanthropic Anthropologist
aperez@student.santarosa.edu