Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:16:20 +0100

Hi,

On 2003-12-04 15:41:19 +0100 Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. <rogelio@smsglobal.net>
wrote:
> Do we really to turn GNUstep into something like the mozilla suite? That looks
> like a cross platform programming environment to me. Is that what GNUstep
> want to become? Thats an objective-c programming environment to me not
> openstep. Windows clashes with openstep thats why GNUstep is not very well
> developed on windows.

I disagree. GNUstep is a software system (in a way similar to Java). It
abstracts from the operating system, forming its own hermetically sealed box.
It doesn't clash with Windows any more than it clashes with Unix. And since
apps (for the most part) only need GNUstep and nothing else, there really is no
reason why they shouldn't run under Windows or whatever, once the base system
is ported.

Look-and-feel issues aside, of course. However, I agree with Pete -- we really
should have a working, stable(!) implementation before we worry about what the
buttons look like. It has been demonstrated that that is easily themeable.

Regards,
Björn