Re: newbie, XMPP framework

From: Larry Cow
Subject: Re: newbie, XMPP framework
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:28:20 +0100

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:40:42 +0100 (CET)
"Pierre-Henri Quelen" <phq@guzoid.org> wrote:

> I'd like to write an Instant Messaging gnustep application. I noticed
> there's already Hydroxide but it only supports MSN and I don't believe
> it's maintained anymore.

It doesn't even support MSN, since they changed protocol lately.

> I think Jabber/XMPP would be a good choice, but then there's a need for
> a XMPP framework (it's in the Framework Wishlist on the wiki).

I agree on that point (I added the XMPP framework to the wishlist). I have
some ideas on it, if you're interested, but no code (and I won't have any
soon).

> I noticed that Acid (...) already exists, it's supposed to be for Mac OS
> X, and I don't know anything about its design or compatibility. It seems
> to have its own xml parsing and generation code.

Maybe it would be more simple to use an existing C library for Jabber. The
only one that comes to my mind is "loudmouth". This way, you could either
write a "simple" jabber program, or design and wrap the whole framework
around the lib, and write your program on top of that. It only depends on
how much time you want to spend on this ;)

> Do you think the IM client should support other IM protocols (like Gaim
> does) or should it just let the server handle this through its gateways
> (like regular jabber clients do) ? I think it would be easy to just have
> a Jabber bundle using the XMPP framework. and there could be other
> bundles handling other protocols.

I'm all for a Jabber-only solution, since it's far easier to write and
maintain, and thus it's easy to integrate it in the whole "desktop". Think
of Service, just like GNUMail.app's one, that would let you send a message
to any other IM client, regardless protocol they use, just with clicking
on it's Jabberized adress.

--
Larry Cow