Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:44:45 -0500

On 2003-11-26 18:35:21 -0800 Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:
While this isn't entirely true, he/they are right. GNUstep needs to be
easier (for a user John Doe) to install. It's easy enough for a
developer and/or someone who essentially know what he's doing. While you
CAN argue that John Doe isn't the target, I disagree -- because the
majority doesn't know, doesn't want to know and doesn't care enough how and why. All they care about is "does it install in one go? if not, I'll
ditch it".

Exactly. That's why all distributions need up-to-date, completely-thought-out, easy-to-install packages in the native packaging format.

On the other hand, no one will give a sh*t, whether GNUstep eventually
installs smoothly on Debian, Gentoo or FlavourDistributionOfTheWeek if
there's nothing, no Tool, no Application, no nifty Thing that draws
attention.

Yep. So I guess we shouldn't bother making packages, since no one is using it, right? "Let's call the whole thing off"?