Re: The GNUstep Roadmap

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: The GNUstep Roadmap
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:01:54 -0700

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> 1) Whining and bitching about bugs and constantly saying that we
>    should "re-write all of GNUstep".
>    WHY: This philosophy is *wrong*.  Period.   No system is going to
>    be perfect the first time out.  You find the bugs you've got and
>    you fix them.  Very simple.  Debug where you can and rewrite only
>    when you *must*.
[...]

As I've already told you on IRC a few minutes ago, you're not addressing
one important point here, although I generally agree with you.

Yes, writing and sending in patches is (or rather, could be) a very
simple thing -- alas, it is also frustrating to see when you do, and the
patches won't get applied, for various reasons I'll leave out, since I
do not want to point any fingers here and thus start another flame war.

Just consider it. You spend a sunny Saturday tracking down a bug that is
apparently particular to your system (for whatever reason), you find it,
you fix it, you create a patch, you send it in -- and nothing happens.

And to top it off, you get (NOT!!! from a core team member, mind you) as
an answer "well, I wouldn't be interested in applying patches for a
system I don't use, either".

Kinda frustrating, don't you agree?

--
Chris