Re: non-x window manager

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: non-x window manager
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:26:40 +0700

Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. wrote:

Window management functionality is way beyond the scope of the backend
interface in GNUstep. Trying to abstract out window management functions
from different windowing systems would just lead to a huge mess;
windowing systems are too dissimilar. Thus, although it'd be possible in
theory, I think it's a bad idea.

- Alexander Malmberg

I was told that much already. Are window managers system specific features?. Im thinking of a system specific integrated window manager in gnustep-back as suggested earlier. Just a system specific barebone wm that can handle gworkspace and a dock like cehardin`s GSDock.

If you start one I'll help. I really like my previously mentioned design. And I guess I don't have enough time to continue my own (Kika)

It could even be a separate package altogether but i think it is better implemented as an integrated wm in gnustep-back.

How feasible is it to port windowmaker or some other x wm to directfb? or Windows? Is it possible to have a single wm for all systems supported by gnustep? Whats the difference if it is integrated or not in the backend then?

Impossible. I can bet all wms were written very X11 way. If you want a generic window system you can help me with WOOM. But it will only work for GNUstep app, other apps need big port. But on X11 we can add Kika (wm) to work with WOOM so
X11 apps will have a wm.