Re: GNUStep Window Manager

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: GNUStep Window Manager
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:35:57 +0800

On 2003-10-22 10:26:07 +0800 Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:09:31 +0800
"Rogelio M.Serrano Jr." <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:
Now, if you're referring to AfterStep Classic -- that one would have
been a good foundation to build a GNUstep-aware window manager on. > IIRC,
Widow err Window Maker was originally based on AfterStep Classic...
'nuff said
Where do we get afterstep classic? Im thinking of using that so i could become more familiar with how window managers work. I tried hacking windowmaker but i gave up.

There used to be a port on FreeBSD for AfterStep Classis, but it was
removed a while ago. You might still get a copy from
http://www.afterstep.org/

However, Classic could probably be considered horribly broken, as it
doesn't/didn't really support GNUstep, or Xinerama. Plus,
configuration was a mess -- even worse than the current AfterStep.

Keep in mind that it's about 10 years old now...

My impression was that the ideal desktop is to use a gworkspace on a minimal window manager so it will be easy to write an integrated window manager in gnustep backend.

In that case, I'd rather take a look at wm2 or wmx as those two are real minimal window managers, plus they are written in C++ so a transition to Objective-C would probably be easier. Those two can be found on http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wm2/ and http://www.42.org/~sec/wmx/
respectively.

Thats great! I will look these up. Those are x window managers of course but thats our starting point.