Re: _DefaultStringEncoding

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: _DefaultStringEncoding
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:21:56 -0600

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Pete French wrote:

1) Why are the possible values of GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING in the
range { "NSISOLatin1StringEncoding", "NSJapaneseEUCStringEncoding", ... }
   and not the widely known and standardized names
         { "ISO-8859-1", "EUC-JP", ... }
   ? This makes it needlessly hard for users.

Those *are* the widely known and standardised names. Set by the
OpenStep standard and used on all OpenStep based systems (as far
as I know). The ones you quote are somebody elses standard and nothing
to do with OpenStep.

I think we could probably accept both for GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING. We already, in fact, have a table internally (in Unicode.m) that maintains the correspondence between the two.