Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:39:46 +0300

On 2003-10-02 23:17:48 +0300 Stefan Kleine Stegemann <stefan@wms-network.de>
wrote:

Hi,

This is the first version of GWorkspace released with the FSF copyright, so I think that the jump from 0.5.3 to 0.6 was needed :-)

First, it's nice to see that work progresses. I like the Shelf but i would prefer if i could resize and move it to where i want. I do not need the whole space and especially on small screens it takes up quite some space. Maybe the Shelf could be a "normal window", framed and floating above the other windows.
This way it would also be possible to make it omnipresent which would
be very usefull when using multiple workspaces, eg. under WindowMaker.
When the Shelf is a normal window it could also be moved or iconified.

On the left border the shelf has a button that closes/opens it. I've not a very
big screen and, usually, I keep it closed; when I want to go somewere, I open
it, select an icon and re-close it. (Well there are 3 click instead of one...)
Regarding the omnipresence there is a problem: actually, to simulate
transparency in the spaces between the tabs, the shelf takes an image of the
Desktop window and draws it before drawing the other elements; making it
omnipresent means that you should make omnipresent the desktop view, too.
Yes, it could be a normal window... but aestetically this is not the same thing.

Anyway, good work.
Stefan Kleine Stegemann