Re: Cros Platform OS X - Linux

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Cros Platform OS X - Linux
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:34:04 -0700

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:21:34 -0400
Patrick Coskren <pcoskren@mac.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 11:44 AM, Adam Fedor wrote:
> > On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 08:37 AM, olidev wrote:
> >> Is it possible to devlop a cross platform GUI application
> >> with Cocoa under OS X and port sources on linux with GNUStep ?
> >> What's the limitation ?
> > See
> > http://www.gnustep.org/information/faq_1.html#SEC4
> > (and other sections) for a partial answer.
> Huh?  That says don't use CoreFoundation.  I thought that was the most
> stable part of GNUStep.

CoreFoundation is Apple specific and is not implemented by GNUstep.
You're thinking of Foundation ;-)

About the original question:
Yes it is, if you avoid Apple specific implementations, like
CoreFoundation or NSDrawers (for now). A better way would be to
write using GNUstep, then port it to Apple.
Ludovic Marcotte did that with GNUMail.

http://promote-opensource.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=286
http://www.sophos.ca/~ludovic/article/article.html

--